Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Philippians 4:1-13

Ever open up your bible to a random page and feel completely floored by what you read? I've thumbed through pages before, praying about what I will choose to read.. but tonight as I turned the pages I just stopped and landed upon part of Philippians 4. I traced back to the beginning of the chapter and am just amazed at how much it speaks straight to my heart in this moment.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again; Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-- think about such things. Whatever you have learned, or receieved, or heard from me, or seen in me-- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:1-13

The first bolded part hit my heart hard about a situation I have been working through for the past week or so that surfaced again in a big way tonight. I stopped to pray and ask Him to put His will for this situation at the forefront of my heart, mind and soul. Reading this after that prayer was just an affirmation saying "Yes, Chelsea.. thank you for coming to me with this."

The second part I have bolded from this beautiful passage is something that is suggested throughout the bible, as clear as this and through other less direct messages. It was so great to read though, because I generally always look at the "well it could be so much worse" side of things rather than the "ahh this is terrible" point of view and quite frankly, it frustrates people. Lately, however, I have been falling into the second habit. This was a great reminder to constantly be grateful and never forget that I have tons of blessings around me and He is always showering me with more than I can open my eyes and heart to comprehend.

Quiet times like tonight really just rock my world.

Praise God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite post of yours so far. I have started to read them all, it helps me more than I can explain most of the time. I can't wait for the next.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome blog! Way to go!! I know EXACTLY what you mean. This passage is one of my favorites.

As for what you said in your profile, I totally echo your sentiments. I want to come along!

I'm head-over-heels in L-O-V-E LOVE with my Saviour Jesus Christ!!!!!

Keep on, keepin' on... and check out my blog sometime! Or, feel free to email me. philip48@dejazzd.com (See! I told you I like that passage. Note my email addy!! ;)