Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Here's to Hindsight


I finished a book called Here's to Hindsight by Tara Leigh Cobble just a few days ago and would like to share some cute, funny, inspiring, comforting yet challenging parts from her story. Here goesss:


*As I drove back from the show later that night, I looked across the street from my hotel and saw war veterans crowded outside a shelter. It occured to me, momentarily, how very wrong this seemed. They fight for our country-- they get to sleep and eat in a shelter. I sing a few songs on a stage-- I get a posh hotel room and room service. It's something I don't know how to reconcile.


*I tend to lose my priorities when emphasis is placed on fame and fortune. I am entirely capable of becoming full of myself, and when I am constantly asked if I am famous or if I have a tour bus, I tend to focus on my pride and my new worth. I don't like the person I become when I focus on those things. But a lot of people don't want to hear "the gospel of smallness," and how I want to learn to focus less on myself and more on Jesus.


*I have to remind myself that God did not call me to be a rockstar-- He called me to express my salvation through mysic. And there is a vast difference.


*That's one of my favorite things about God-- that He is big enough to take the good, the bad and the ugly, and work them all together like some big masterpiece for my good and for His glory.


This part reminded me of an earlier post from last semester which I believe is titled "and now it all makes perfect sense" where I completed a painting and talked about each of the elements having their own characteristics brought together under Jesus, because He is the answer.


Andddd my favorite quote from this book-


*I'd grown up around all of those rules and regulations, and I know that they are probably a good idea for kids, but when you're and adult and you're making your own decisions, living by rules pales in comparison to loving something in a way that shows the change in you.


This book was a short and easy and overall, a lot of fun. It was a breath of fresh air to me, kind of like having fellowship through reading another Christian's story about her good, bad and ugly and how God brings it all together for His kingdom.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Very pretty, post more often :)