Thursday, July 24, 2008

They hurry down the stairs as soon as they hear me come to the door

"Chelsea is it prize day?" They care about nothing more.
Painting and singing and skipping through the hall
"Laura please be careful, you're going to run into the wall"
Splashing in the puddles with their rain boots and smiles
It is refreshing to know that their hearts will stay this way for awhile
Lunch time. "I'm starving!!" They need something to eat
"How about we mix a bunch of stuff up, our own creation, something sweet."
I sit back and watch them, and listen as they bicker
Ahh the joy of being a child, and to think I wanted to grow up quicker
Their smiles, laughs, frowns and tears surface each and everyday
And though I get frustrated at times,  I wouldn't want it any other way.

Just a little something silly to try and express just how much I love my job as a babysitter.  When I was young, about 13 I started to babysit and back then it was all about making some money and feeling important because I had a "job".  Over the years it has grown to mean so much more.  At the end of the semester I thought long and hard about getting a job that was more professional and would be more in line with my career exploration, but I just couldn't say no to those beautiful little ones.  While most people in this world are off trying to hurry along the growing up process, I finger paint and make messes, mix crazy ingredients together that taste disgusting (but delight my girls).  I wake up each day sleepy and wondering how I will make it 10 hours with 2 stubborn girls, but the hugs, kisses and "I love you's" wake me up and keep me going.  While some people wish they could just grow up already, I am embracing the chance I get each and everyday to share a smile with a child and act just as silly as they do.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

yeah let's just be kids for a while!

Kristin Zuvich said...

Relationship advice....

status = posted.

:-)

Btw, I won't be at church this sunday. But we WILL hang out soon. We must, my dear!