Friday, November 13, 2009

Insignificant?

How many days a week do we wake up feeling significant? How many times do we punch into work thinking "this day at work is going to really make a difference"? How many times do our hearts scream "HEY! This matters.. what you are doing matters.. YOU MATTER!"

Probably not too often unless we are deliberate about staying in God's word and reminding ourselves that we are a part the body of Christ, a significant part. I know personally that I can get very bent of shape when I suddenly question my worth and the value of my everyday actions. While listening to a motivational speech by Caplan Mobray, I, along with the rest of the audience were challenged with the question "Do you know why you are doing what you are doing today and how it is going to shape where you are tomorrow?" I felt confident in answering this question with a yes. I knew on a worldly level why I am in the RA position, why I am finishing up my degree, etc. However, after reflecting further I realized that this was looking at what I am doing now as a means to an end. This view means that all of the small things I do outside of getting my degree or making money and gaining work experience, etc. are insignificant. That the service I do, the smiles and encouragement I give, the quiet times I have, the laughter I share with Steve... and the list goes on.. is insignificant. What an awful view!

Then tonight I came across a great excerpt from one of Archbishop Desmond Tutu's sermons that challenged me to revisit what I am doing in view of God's eyes.

Have you seen a symphony orchestra? There is a chap at the back carrying a triangle. Now and again the conductor will point to him and he will play "ting". That might seem so insignificant, but in the conception of the composer something irreplaceable would be lost to the total beauty of the symphony if that "ting" did not happen.

I am a member of God's symphony orchestra. I may get the honor of being the chap who plays the triangle, but perhaps I am "less" than that and I only get to clap along in the background. No matter what my role, I have one!! And that is amazing. There is a will that God has for my life, that fits me into His grand puzzle of children. A plan for my life that offers me so many divine opportunities that they can't possibly be looked at as insignificant.

If you are like me and you sometimes doubt your worth, beat yourself up about a project or area of your life that seems to be going nowhere, or simply feel that nothing you do matters, take comfort in knowing that YOU are a member of God's orchestra, of His family and His plan. You were born with a purpose and all God wants is to be able to reveal it to you and help you live it.

You and I are the most significant to God. After all, we are His hands.. His heart.. His plan.

0 comments: