Thursday, February 7, 2008

Love, love, love, love.


"Love, love, love, love
And john lennon said that was all you need
If you taste it once
It won't be enough" -Celine Dion

When my best friend first played me this song, I was shocked by the sound of it knowing that it was Celine Dion. It had a rock feel to it, nothing like I had ever heard from her. I immediately fell in love with the song and Delia and I would sing it and dance her around like crazies.

Listening to it tonight, something else about it caught me and made me stop and realize something very important. The above lyrics, referring back to a Beatles song which says that "love is all we need" has never proven to be more true to me. Now, if you know me you may stop and say "But how can that be? You're single for the first time in forever and without love."

And that is exactly my inspiration for this post. So many people, especially with Valentine's Day coming up, get lost in the idea that love needs to be from someone with whom you are in a romantic relationship with. People get discouraged when February 14th comes around and they are not out to dinner sitting across from their future husband or wife.

It is becoming more and more evident in my everyday life that are endless sources of love all around. My friends and family obviously give me unconditional love which is extremely important to me and which I cherish with all of my heart. But on another level, there are people that I come into contact with on a daily basis that I may not know very well, that I can feel a sort of love from.

If you attend Eastern, you know Sue from Hurley who makes you that delicious omelet before your 8AM class. Everyday that I see her, she is smiling from ear to ear and just so excited to see students and always so sweet. You may also know Nancy from Career Services, or Kim Silcox or President Elsa Nunez. These are all individuals on campus who are always beaming with smiles and enthusiasm for what they do and for the students on this campus. Seeing any one of them, along with students on campus smiling and laughing is a symbol of love, at least in my heart.

As far as giving love, if you are up for that, there are so many opportunities. Attending a campus event and joking around with strangers who may become your best friends is one form. My favorite, however, is volunteering. There is nothing better to me than seeing the look on someone's face when I give them a free cup of coffee on Main Street Willimantic, just because. They ask why we are there doing this, and when we reply "It's just for you, there is no catch. This world needs more acts of kindness!" a smile spreads across their faces and it is irreplaceable.

Of course, love on a personal level with a significant other is wonderful and it is a one of a kind feeling, but is it not the only love. It is not the be all end all.

So, I challenge you to go out and open your self up to the love that is all around you everyday and to give some back, if you can. Because after all, it is all we need.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

love it

Anonymous said...

this is an awesome post. It's so cool to see someone else on the right track that understands the significance of unconditional love.