Thursday, August 14, 2008

seeking advice.

I just got done having a conversation with a person close to me that I should have known would go wayyy south. I need to know where the line is when it comes to talking about God and what it means for me to be a Christian. When people ask me questions, I like to answer.. imagine that. And for some reason, I always give this certain someone the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe he is genuinely intersted rather than trying to prove me wrong and stand correct that "there is no God and I should give up this gig."

It is not only with him however, but with other friends and family and sometimes even strangers. I don't parade around the streets yelling to the masses that I love Jesus, but sometimes I wonder why I don't. I then realize the sad truth that there are so many stereotypes for Christians just like any other group of people. Because of these, we watch our actions and the way we handle talking about our Lord in a certain manner to not "freak people out" or scare them away from the idea of this unconditional love.

I have read over and over in the scriptures that we are not to be silent about Him and we are to go out and spread the good news.

One of the desires of my heart is to lead people to Him in a non forceful but influential way. I generally wait for the topic to be brought up and then I am very careful to not get mad at the person or irritated with their views because (1) I remember where I was a year ago and it makes me bite my tongue and (2) that is not a very good way to channel my frustrations.

Any advice on where that line lies? Or experiences that you have had and would like to share? I could really use lots of help in this area.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all this is probably always going to be something that you struggle with, but you being to figure out new ways to approach the subject. The best way that I know how to do this is to live your life the way you have been called to live and as relationships form people will naturally talk to you and discuss this ever important topic.

It is sometimes difficult to not go out and just want to tell everyone about the good news, but there is a lot to be said about being patient and letting God move in his own time. A lot of this is just feeling out the situation. Just because someone asks a question does not necessarily give us the green light to lay out the gospel (exaggeration). If God wants to work in their hearts, chances are that it is going to take a while and it won't occur over one conversation where we share our faith.

Think back...at first Chels I didn't really talk a ton about my faith to you- I invited you to church. Similarly I think we need to live our lives and let God move around us and feel out each situation.