Sunday, August 31, 2008

The type of church service shouldn't matter. The kind of music, the length of the message, the clothes people are wearing, the building we sit it... none of that should matter. At church, if we are in a community that we feel challenged yet safe around, we should just sit and praise Him. Open our hearts to His love and recognize His place in our lives.

I spoke with a friend of mine tonight after the service at SPCC about the different style of music compared to the summer services at 6 oclock. I brought it up saying simply that it was different and that I prefered the worship style from the summer. My friend agreed and I suggested to her that she attend the 4 oclock which I believe has the same style that she is used to.

Thinking about it now, I am glad that it was different tonight and that I wasn't absolutely in love with it. It breaks the cycle of what is comfortable and makes me look past the singers and hear past the guitar and feel past the rhythm of the music. It forces me to remember why I am singing the songs in the first place rather than maybe just falling into the pattern of doing it.

Of course, when the worship team at SPCC is in the middle of "From the Inside Out" by Hillsong, there is a feeling I will never be able to describe and I often wish they just sang that song over and over but there is also a place for different styles, ones that we aren't used to and that take some trying to get into.

After all.. it is all about Him.

3 comments:

Marisa said...

Awesome post! I have a half-typed post on this that I wrote this weekend...I'll eventually get to finishing and posting it.

For now, I'll just comment that you have it right. It's not what we feel, but it's a matter of focusing on Him. The song, "Coming Back to the Heart of Worship" is a great reminder and incredible for that reason!

Anonymous said...

awesome post Chelsea!! So true when we start complaining about the music style rather than the reason we are worshipping in the first place!

ChelseaDenise said...

thank you guys :) you are both such blessings!