Saturday, October 11, 2008

getting into the groove

Since the TEXT series at SPCC, I have been working on getting back into the groove when it comes to reading the Bible regularly. It was very helpful when after one of the sermons we broke up into small groups and talked about our current strategies if we had any, and what our future plans were. We were asked to come up with a time and a space to read, as well as a plan for what we would read. In the past I had just opened up to any ole place or referred back to my favorite parts. While any reading is better than no reading, I have quickly learned that guided reading is the key. I certainly do not have it down perfect and never will, but I am learning that when I have a plan for what I will read, I am excited to dive into His word and read on in the story.

For the past two weeks I have followed a plan laid out on the SPCC website under one of the Bible Tools. It was two weeks on the life and teachings of Jesus and let me just tell you that each day I was amazed. There were many parts that I had heard before-- whether they were word for word or just referenced, but there were also a lot of new parts that filled in the blanks.

Next week I will begin reading on the life and teachings of Paul, and after that two weeks on the Old Testament which I am really looking forward to. I have barely read any of the Old Testament besides Proverbs and Psalms and an really looking forward to diving in.

I also need to move forward and develop specific times and places each day that I will read according to my plan. Although I do read everyday, it can sometimes be rushed between classes or done when I am very sleepy after work and right before bed.

But as always, Praise God. For giving me the disciplined and curious heart to learn more through His word.

What techniques work for you? Any suggestions on praying through the bible?

0 comments: