Friday, June 5, 2009

Seeing God in a Recital.

Last night I was at Steve's house when his dad's girlfriend, Sherry invited me to come and watch her recital tonight. She explained how she has been teaching dance students from three different towns for years and how this is the first year where they will have all of the dances in one show. I was told that it would be held today at 7PM.

I shuffled through my schedule of the day and realized I would have to rush my gym workout, stuff dinner down my throat and drive quickly in order to get there. I was a bit frustrated at the thought of being rushed and I told her I would do my best to make it.

I wanted to be there to support her and her daughters and Steve's sister Britt whom I love so much.

I rushed at the gym, with dinner and getting there. Of course, I arrived 13 minutes early which pointed out that I didn't need to be in such a hurry to begin with. The curtains opened at 7:02 and the show began. Miss Sherry danced in the first dance along with her daughters and a few other students. Tears started falling out of my eyes.

As the dances continued, I watched dozens of little girls beautifully missing ballet steps and waving like crazy at their moms from the stage. I was amazed by the solos performed with such passion and gracefulness by the older girls. Tears kept unexpectedly falling from my eyes.

The show went on and with every dance, in every face-- I saw God. I saw joy and smiles and a passion for dance. I saw the gift that dance is and was so grateful to God for creating things like dance.

Sherry concluded the evening by saying that she is so blessed to share her God given gift with all of the children. Almost 100 students gathered on the stage and hugged and laughed, congratulated and of course the little ones were still waving at their mothers.

I left the auditorium, walked out the doors of the school and kept crying, thanking God for revealing His heart through a simple recital that I was hesitant to go to.

This may sound silly and I understand if you think so, but I absolutely love the way He grabs my attention and shows me a bit more of Himself when I least expect it. Praise Him for smiles, for little girls waving on stage, for Sherry and her wonderful talents and for recitals.