Monday, June 1, 2009

a simpler life.

"I want to make my life matter, but not in the way that our Western culture seems to care about (ie. making money, being successful and continuing to be upwardly mobile), but instead continuing to be the type of person who makes my life simpler in order that the few things that I have said “yes” to take precedence over everything else."

The above quote is from a blog that my friend suggested I check out. It is written by a man named Dave who is in Uganda for a couple of weeks. From reading his posts, it doesn't seem he is a follower of Christ, but that certainly doesn't mean we can't learn from him.

His statement about making his life simpler so that the few things he has said yes to really take precedence is extremely powerful. Since beginning my walk, I have undoubtedly lived simpler. Less gossip, fewer dollars spent on clothes, less time picking out what to wear, less money being spent on the latest trends, etc. I am grateful for the way God has worked in me in this area and I pray that He continues to. It takes a lot of discipline and is always something that I can be working on and need to be working on. It is especially important as I have just moved back home for the summer. Although I will still be spending each Sunday at SPCC, I am away from the Small Group I was with all year, away from my routine at school and just getting used to change again. This always makes it more difficult for me to keep me priorities in line. Reading Dave's post, and specifically that striking sentence was a great reminder.

Because I am very interested in having my life matter for God's Kingdom. I want more than anything to be able to live a simpler life so that the Only One I have said "YES! "to takes complete precedence in my life.

(I encourage you to check out his blog if you are interested in Uganda or just following him for the next week or so! www.daveinuganda.wordpress.com)

1 comments:

Brit said...

see i knew you'd like it! i'm glad it spoke to you!