Wednesday, June 24, 2009

whose eyes?

Tonight I was faced with a question that answered a question I have been having for awhile. I am often looked at strangely or negatively commented when I make optomistic statements or try and look toward the future rather than dwelling on the past or something that I can't do anything about. This has confused me for quite some time and has saddened me greatly when friends get angry at me about it.

The question I was prompted with tonight was: Do you form your idea of what God is like by the things that happen around you? Or do you think of the things that happen around you based on who God is?

God has worked in my heart in amazing ways and has helped me to move toward the second of these two options. For awhile I asked questions like "well how is there a God if children are starving?", "why have I had so much hurt my life if God is love?", etc, etc. I was basing my opinion of God on the representation of Him by people and things in this world.

Bad move!! Not until I dove into the Bible and began to learn about God's heart could I begin to truly understand Him for who He really is. The stage where I was doubtful and questioning was necessary, for sure as a seeker. I am glad that I asked the questions that I did and I am certainly more glad that God revealed the answers to me.

So the next time I speak optomistically, matter of factly or extremely compassionately (and trust me, I don't do a great job of keeping this view all of the time), know that it is because God is working in my heart to help me know Him better. He is using people, places and things of this world to help me better understand who He is.

2 comments:

Brit said...

thats a very good question! something i will be pondering throughout the day! thanks for sharing :)

Keri Joelle said...

Haha.Yes.I don't even find it ok...good questions=)