Wednesday, August 12, 2009

snipits from The Shack


The Shack is an amazing book that I am thankful to have read. I had heard a lot about it from different people while I was in the DR but didn't give it much thought until I was at my aunt's house and saw it on her dining room table. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It is a heartfelt story about a man's tragedy and how God uses His great love to redeem all.

Here are a few of my favorite parts:

Nobody knows what horrors I have saved the world from cause people can’t see what never happened. All evil flows from independence and independence is your choice. If I were to simply revoke all the choices of independence, the world as you know it would cease to exist and love would have no meaning. This world is not a playground where I keep all my children free from evil. Is the chaos of this age that you brought to me, but it will not have the final say. Now it touches everyone that I love, those who follow me and those who don’t. If I take away the consequences of people’s choices, I destroy the possibility of love. Love that is forced is no love at all.

Most emotions are responses to perception—what you think is true about a given situation. If your perception is false, then your emotional response to it will be false too. So check your perceptions, and beyond that check the truthfulness of your paradigms—what you believe. The more you live in the truth, the more your emotions will help you see clearly. But even then, you don’t want to trust them more than me.

Religion must use law to empower itself and control the people who they need in order to survive. I give you an ability to respond and your response is to be free to love and serve in every situation, and therefore each moment is different and unique and wonderful. Because I am your ability to respond, I have to be present in you. If I simply gave you a responsibility, I would not have to be with you at all. It would now be a task to perform, an obligation to be met, something to fail.

Do yourself a favor and read this book!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

chelsea! this is a great book! I'm so glad you read it and got a lot out of it. I read it and was so moved....I recommend it to everyone i see. :-)