Monday, October 12, 2009

bring it to Jesus

In the past, I have allowed myself to feel very burdened by other people's anguishes, doubts, insecurities, hopelessness, sadness, etc. I have often times tried to carry people on my back through their troubles. I would say things to myself like "Well Chels, if you don't help them, who will?". Some people had me believing that they would be lost without me.

This feeling was very evident in my relationship with my father. He and I have a very long and complicated past, but once God gave me the strength to forgive my dad and move forward with a relationship, I felt that it was up to me to fix his problems, that it was up to me to be there for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There have been several other people in the past couple of years I have felt this way about.

Within the past few months, however, I have run to the end of my rope and realized that I myself can't fix anyone issues, hurts, pasts, etc. Sure, I can be a helpful friend, a great resource, listening ears and two arms to collapse in, but I can't be it all.

I know in my head and have since shortly after becoming a Christian, that I need to bring everything to Jesus. Not until just recently, though, did I truly believe in my heart that this is the only way. And even though I believe that, I am not always the best at doing it.

This world is too broken, too confusing, too ugly and too complicated for you or me to decipher or repair. It is full of deceit, evil, good but lost intentions and beaten and battered people. The good news.. no-- the amazing, reassuring, comforting, awesome, all encompassing news-- is that none of it is too much for Jesus.

When we feel bogged down by others, (and certainly by ourselves) we need to lay them at the foot of the cross. Express our frustrations and loss for words and actions to God. Ask Him how we can serve the people who are hurting, but remember that we are limited. Pray for those who are hurt, confused and lost and remind yourself that sometimes, that is all you can do.

What would your day to day life look like if you brought "it" to Jesus rather than carrying it on your back?

2 comments:

Brit said...

thanks for posting, i enjoyed reading this...i'm glad you are getting better at not being everyones everything :)

Steveee said...

I'm glad you are too, it makes me sad sometimes when you think you are responsible for others' happiness and what not. Although, I tend to do that still also, like with my family and stuff. But even then, there is only so much human hands can do... lovely post :-)