Tuesday, May 13, 2008

True Life: I love my job as an RA.


I can remember working with my group on Super Saturday last year. I was working with the people that I was competing for a job against. I thought the activities that they had us doing were a bit silly, but I had a good attitude none the less.


I can remember sitting in my RA interview with Angelo. He had been my hall director all year, but still asked my name when I sat down in the chair. (Not really the start I was looking for).


I can remember when Sharday and I got our letters saying that we were hired for the position! We were both so excited and happy for each other.


I can remember moving my things in early so that I could begin RA training.


From here on out, it is kind of a blur. The year passed so quickly. I feel like it was yesterday when we were having our first social program and I was serving residents ice cream out of my room.


27 programs, 9 rounds of room inspections, countless duty nights, 30ish staff meetings, 9 sets of door decs, 15 bulletin boards and a million memories later, I sit at this office desk in disbelief that in three days Occum will be empty and all of the residents will be gone.


I absolutely love this job. People often ask me "Doesn't it suck being an RA?" I tell them that it is singlehandedly the best job that I have ever had. The staff that I work with is wonderful. I have met my best friend Mae and enjoyed so many late nights and sleep overs and just awesome times. I was so blessed to be able to work with Andrew who has been such an inspiration to me on my walk with Jesus. The rest of the staff has been nothing but awesome to work with. And last, but certainly not least I will mention Joanna, Ralph and Emilyn. They are the most beautiful family I have ever seen in my life. So loving and caring and just compassionate. I was graciously offered a babysitting position by Joanna and have loved every single Tuesday that I am able to spend with little Emma. She is such a well behaved, fun, smart 15 month old.


This job rocks my world. My staff has become my family away from home and there is a never a dull moment which definitely keeps me on my toes.


I can't wait to come back in the fall to work with all of my loves again! :)


0 comments: