Friday, June 27, 2008

What a flashback.


For whatever reason, this morning while brushing my teeth, I was reminded of this song that I used to sing in Brownies when I was in about 1st or 2nd grade.
Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, the other is gold.
A circle is round, it has no end. That's how long, I will be your friend.
A fire burns bright, it warms the heart. We've been friends, from the very start.
You have one hand, I have the other. Put them together, We have each other.
Silver is precious, Gold is too. I am precious, and so are you.
You help me, and I'll help you and together we will see it through.
The sky is blue The Earth is green I can help to keep it clean
Across the land Across the sea Friends forever We will always be

It's corny, I know.. but somewhat applies to where I am in life right now. I am having a tough time hanging out with my old group of friends due to their lifestyle being different than mine but I still really care about them and am not fine with separating myself from them completely so that we are not friends anymore. I have also been working on making new friends. I have found out quickly that it isn't always the easiest thing when you live in a town that you've lived in your entire life. Instead, I have been recharging former friendships with people that I have lost contact with for different reasons.

I went to my friends cottage the other night and enjoyed a beautiful campfire with a few of his friends who were all very nice to me. Last night I went out with my friend on his motorcycle and then to a nice dinner where we were able to catch up after not really talking for years. It has been very refreshing.

Of course I care about the group of friends that I have associated myself with after graduating high school, but I also have a great want and a great need to care about and become close to others.

I will make new friends but keep the old in some capacity. And just like a circle is round and has no end (which makes me laugh because it reminds me of I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry), I won't ever deliberately stop being someone's friend or being there for them. Everyone is in a process, we are all at different points. This is key for me to remember when I get fed up with some of my friends. How awful would it be for me to stop talking to them and being their friend and then 2 years down the road when either they or I really want to catch up, we just don't make time or refuse to get together because it's been so long?

Now I know the girlscout song is really cheesy, but I thought it was kind of fitting, especially because it just popped into my head this morning!

I love my friends, new and old. I am challenged, loved, cared about, laughed at and a million other things. And I am so grateful.

1 comments:

Kristin Zuvich said...

I know exactly what you mean! That's definitely something the Lord's taught me lately. I've been guilty of walking away before, too, and then I realize...what if all the people in my life who were a step ahead of me, decided to leave me in the dust because I wasn't on the same wavelength as them? How angry I'd be, and lonely!