Sunday, November 23, 2008

big wings in the sky

Yesterday morning while Steve and I were driving to SPCC for Saturday Serves, I commented on how much I love the drive to church because the scenery is gorgeous. It was a treat to have someone else driving so that I could take the time to enjoy it. I pointed out the areas near UCONN where the cows have space to roam and told him about how I often bring little Emma to see the animals. Overhead, there were geese flying and Steve asked, "Are those birds hawks?" I laughed and said "No silly they're geese." Steve replied, "I just saw big wings in the sky out of the corner of my eye and thought they were hawks."

I turned and looked out the window again. This time I not only saw through the glass but also through the geese and their big wings. I laid my eyes on a set of even larger wings-- wings that encompass the entire earth. I gazed at the sight of His wings spread over His creation and closed my eyes and I breathed a sigh of relief. I took in another deep breath thankful for God and for the fact that he "keeps me as the apple of his eye and hides me in the shadow of his wings" as it is written in the book of Psalms.

It is so easy sometimes to forget that God is right there. To look at the people around you and miss Him, to reflect on a situation and be unsure of His presence there.. but after this silly conversation about birds in the sky being geese or hawks, I have learned that each time I look up I can be comforted in knowing that I.. that we.. are all blanketed by His wings.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3.