Monday, November 17, 2008

the value of an education

Some of us pay thousands and thousands of dollars to go away to school for 4 years and be educated. Some of us love the classes we take and others of us can't stand them and struggle to make it to most. Somewhere along the way, though, we are taught. We learn things even when we try not to. What is the impact of this education?

Over the past couple weeks a recurring theme has jumped out at me. Education is great but certainly isn't enough. Since the beginning of this country, one of the best forms of human capital has been a good education-- someone who had attended school and learned a trade or a number of different subjects, but had some type of education were somehow "better" than those who didn't. Someone with practical experience in the real world with real people just didn't make the cut. I make the same argument for today and think that you will agree if you take a second to think about people in your life or just in the world in general.

One of my professors said something pain stakingly obvious last week yet it struck me as so profound. "Even though we all know that we should eat better and work out to stay in good health-- we just don't do it. We are educated about the right way but choose the wrong instead." Hmm imagine that. Education just isn't enough.

I was them reading in a novel and came to a scene where a young African American couple was discussion the whites perception of them. The man spoke about how the whites were beginning to realize that they ought to be more accepting and give equal rights to the blacks but that that just wouldn't happen. "Ah- if only the diagnosis were the cure!" Education and enlightenment were present-- but no change.

Later that week, I was watching a sermon online from a pastor at Granger Community Church. The topic of the sermon isn't important for this post, but something that he said really clicked when talking about our country-- "I've never put our hope in education. It's great but we know it doesn't change hearts." It tied together the other two bits of information I have mentioned above. Education does not change hearts-- it simply makes us aware.

God really spoke to me through these three avenues over the past week or two to get this message about education across to me. I am one who values my education greatly and am so glad to be here at Eastern working towards a degree. I have never been one to worry much about grades and am thankful that I do as well as I do. This message about education being great but not enough is one that has been sneaking up inside my heart for awhile. God has shown me many ways to better myself aside from sitting in the classroom. He has lead me out to help the poor and the weak and the lost. He has taken my hand and shown me a better way.

And since teaching others the good news isn't enough to change their hearts, we are called to go the extra mile- to love and to serve all of His people in His name and for His glory.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Education is but a single shade of paint we may use, each of us with our own pallet of gifts and strengths, each of us with a canvas called Life, in which we may paint a masterpiece."

"Like a caterpillar, education is simply a child of the world. But given a single chance, may it grow the beautiful wings of Change."

Hope you like those. Great post. <3