Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ash Wednesday

This past Monday at 3, the ECSU small group entered my room and we got comfy on my couch, bed and floor. I made a few announcements at the beginning-- one of them being that there would be an Ash Wednesday service at SPCC. I extended the invitation and said I would be glad to drive. One of the members who is a new believer asked what Ash Wednesday is. "I don't know" I replied. No weird looks, no "what do you mean you don't know?!"'s.

The small group that I lead is made up of 5 college students, some of us have believed for a long time, some of us not long at all. I think that we all have in common the fact that we haven't been following for an extended period of time. A few of the members said they would love to join me at the service. What a blessing!

Tonight's service absolutely ripped open my heart. It sounds grusome and awful but it was absolutely necessary and surprisingly healing. I knelt there, hands raised while tears flooded from my eyes. God opened up my heart and poured Himself in, more than ever before.

My heart was challenged.
My behaviors were challenged.
My thoughts were challenged.
My intentions were challenged.
I... was challenged.

Thankfully, Jesus died on the cross and rose again for me.. and for you. God loves us so much that He gave His one and only Son. He still loves us this much today and draws us near to Him time and time again after we turn and run in the other direction.

Let us remember His love with every act, every word, every breath.

0 comments: