Saturday, February 28, 2009

george.

I headed down to Covenant Soup Kitchen to volunteer the way I do every Thursday. I prepared dinner for a bit, then finally got to get out into the dining room and hang out with the guests. I approached Jose and Pedro and a few of their friends who were playing dominos. I had played with Jose and Pedro in the past and had gotten to know them quite a bit.

I sat down and began talking to Jose.

"Be quiet. There's no talking across the table," George said.

"How come? I haven't seen Jose in a few weeks and I'd like to catch up," I asked.

"This is a game of concentration.. we don't talk to each other while we play. Besides, I keep to myself and barely talk to no one," George said as he pulled out a bottle of vodka and took a swig.

"Please don't tell Paul," Jose pleaded.

"George, please keep it away while we're playing and you're here. You're so lucky to be able to eat here, please don't abuse the privledge," I said.

He agreed and we continued to play and Jose and I caught up, being sure not to talk specifically about the game.

George got in a verbal argument with one of the men there, who he had recently "kicked the shit out of" as he put it. I prayed silently as the guests were served and George huffed and puffed about.

As I was leaving, George was outside smoking a cigarette and stumbling around. I told him that I hope he would have a good week and that I looked forward to seeing him next week. He asked if I was driving back to school and I answered yes and asked if he needed a ride somewhere.

I drove George home about 5 minutes away and we talked on the way and then for about 20 minutes in his driveway. He spoke about his love for his kids and how they had turned their back on him because they were fed up with his ways. I talked to him about how hard it was for me growing up with a father who was an alcoholic and how it is still very hard for me today. He was grateful to hear the other side of the story and told me that he saw God in my eyes when I spoke to him. I told him that God has a great plan for his life and that with each breath he is given new life and a brand new chance.

He thanked me repeatedly and as I told him he was so very welcome, he began to cry. I wept with him, crying because I knew that God was present in that moment and we had opened it up to Him in our conversation. I wept because I felt so bad for George living all alone, pretending he wasn't lonely.

Before I left he said "Chelsea, I probably won't remember who you are tomorrow-- because I'm so drunk right now, but I want you to know that you have touched my heart."

I told him that I would introduce myself again if he should fail to remember and we parted ways.

...... George.

0 comments: