Thursday, December 11, 2008

Advent Reading Reflections for 12.12

Philippians 3:12-16

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.


Just a couple random thoughts that weighed in while I was reading:

But I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

This reminded me of Charlie Hall’s lyrics “I am chasing after You because you first chased after me”. I have worshipped to that song at church one time and to this day it sticks with me. Jesus persevered like crazy after me through my 20 years of not knowing Him and now I am happy to proclaim that I am chasing after Him!!

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead.

There is no doubt that our past experiences influence who we are at this very moment, but this verse gets at something that is one of my core values. I have learned the hard way over the years that I can either dwell on the negative things in my past and let it bog down my present (and therefore future) or I can allow myself to be picked up and move on with a lesson learned and hope for the future.

Let us press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus by watching this season! A theme that was presented the first day of the Advent Conspiracy series, and that echoes in my head and my heart day after day.

0 comments: