Monday, December 15, 2008

A new way to get dressed in the morning.

While reading through the Advent readings for today, a few versus from Ephesians caught me eye. Jeff had referenced them in a sermon he gave and they rang a bell in my head and my heart as I took them in again.

Ephesians 6:13-17

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your wasit, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.


At first, the stunning imagery hit me. I can picture a warrior getting prepared for battle and buckling his weapons around his waist as he slips his helmet over his head, holds up his shield and draws his sword to the enemy. I then caught myself and wondered why I was picturing a warrior preparing for battle rather than God's children getting dressed for each and every day.

Here is where the metaphor struck me. We are called to wear His armor. To keep in the Word and to be in constant conversation with Him. To stand on His faith and persevere through the doubts and struggles. It is evident that these versus are instructing us to do just that, but it easy to get lost in the imagery and dismiss it as a warrior gearing up after hearing a battle cry.

This world is full of cries, full of pain and suffering. Let each mention of injustice, each desperate tear and each hungry belly be a battle cry to us. Let us suit up each day in God's armor, go out there and win hearts for His glory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually i kinda dig the armor ;-) awesome post though cuz i love metaphorsss

Marisa said...

This is a beautiful post Chels! I especially love the last paragraph!