Monday, December 29, 2008

soul cravings (3)

Home is ultimately not about a place to live but about the people with whom you are most fully alive. Home is about love, relationship, community, and belonging, and we are all searching for home.

I'm not going to lie, the first thing I thought of when I read this was Dory from Finding Nemo when she is begging Marlin not to leave her alone because "when she looks at him she feels home".

Shortly there after entered Vince's message from Imagine Christmas. The idea that during Christmas we all search for home. We don't want to go to a place where "when we have to go they have to take us in". We want to go somewhere where we are welcomed and where our arrival is anticipated with joy.

I know that I have wrestled with "home" issues many times in my life. Lately it has been that I feel most at home with my church family. I feel guilty saying that because of all that my mom and sister have done for me, because I love them so much and they are my two best friends. But it is the truth lately and hit me this Christmas. After spending an entire weekend with them for Imagine Christmas, it has been very weird being away for two weeks.

Jesus called to all who were weary and who found their souls exhausted to come to him and find rest. He is telling us that God will be for us our place called home.


After reading this, however, I stopped feeling guilty and began to feel challenged and encouraged. It makes sense that I would feel most at home with my church family because each person has uniquely attributed to the first steps of my walk with Christ. It is with them that I can pray and worship and that I got excited about my first real Christmas with. The challenging part came in when I was reminded that no matter where I go, God is always there.. He is my home. (Quite frankly I have made it kind of hard to see that when I am so focused on being the only believer in the house.) Sure it is great to share that home with my SPCC family, but I need to learn to be just as comfortable when I "have the house to myself" so to speak.

When we are having "home" problems and can't seem to figure out where exactly we belong, we may become anxious, depressed, nervous and a whole slew of other things. It is amazing, however, the weight that is lifted when we realize that God has enough room in His house for us all and He longs for us to fill up one of those empty beds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i can really relate to this one, thanks for sharing :)

ChelseaDenise said...

no problem my dear :)