Saturday, December 27, 2008

soul cravings (1)


This Christmas I got three books that I am very eager to read. I started Soul Cravings by Erwin McManus tonight and although I'm only 12 pages in, I am hooked.

The book, which is written in short entries, is extremely inviting as McManus asks the reader to embark on a journey with him. The first pages talk about the unexplainable longing in our hearts for love. I have posted in the past on my thoughts about love. I finally realized that love goes far beyond family, friends and romantic partners. I believe that this book will capture that same notion and help me to encounter love in full force.

Here are just a few parts that struck me as profound:

"If you try to ignore it, if you think that you can live your life without love, you're in even worse shape than the person who's desperately trying to find it."

"Have you ever come face to face with the vacuum of love that exists within your soul? Have you ever had an unexplainable sense of loneliness even while you're standing in the middle of a crowd? At the same time you can be all by yourself and have a wonderful sense of connectedness with the world. You can enjoy being alone, but you can become lost in aloneness."

Anddd my favorite:

"We are created to know love and to give love. Our need to love, though rooted in God, is not limited to Him. Love is not a limited commodity. Love expands as we give it away. Love dies when we do not."
I think that while reading this book I will blog about a different part that speaks to me each day. I hope that you would follow me along this journey and give me your feedback. Also, I would already say that I recommend this book!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds awesome, can't wait to hear more about it :)

Anonymous said...

sounds like another good read, except i thought you already had this?