Sunday, May 17, 2009

The equation for spiritual growth


Since being led to Christ, I have read many books, listened to many sermons, talked to many Christians and prayed.. a lot! I have taken classes at SPCC, gone on mission trips, served in the local community and my goodness I have come up with tons of equations for spiritual growth.

20 minutes of reading a day + 10 minutes of praying a day + 5 hours of serving a week + 2 meetings with Christian friends a week = spiritual growth

a mission trip to Panama + attending st. paul's every week + praying 20 minutes a day! = spiritual growth

reading John Ortberg's new book + reading from both the Old Testament and New Testament each day + praying by yourself and with a friend each day = spiritual growth

This gets tiring. I let myself down. Time and time again. I don't keep up with my goals for reading and praying and fellowship. I come short on my expectations of service.

Within the past few months, I have realized that spiritual growth is no crazy phenomenon, it isn't something that requires an extensive list of things to do each day. Growth does not come just by me reading the Word, and praying throughout the day, leading a small group and establishing new and meaningful friendships.

No. This is not it.

God = spiritual growth.

Without God it doesn't matter how much we read, how often we pray, who or where or when or how much we serve.. you get the idea. I'm listening to an old sermon from the 40 Days of Community "How We Help Each Other Grow". A wonderful parallel to the Wild Goose Chase series at SPCC now.

God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the trinity.. that is how we grow. Reading, praying, being in community, serving, ministering, etc.. those are the practical ways that we can grow through God.

Apart from Him, we can't and won't grow. We won't be able to help people, we won't be able to be helped, we just won't be what we were made to be.

4 comments:

Stevee said...

I love the simplicity of this. God bless babe.

ChelseaDenise said...

it is simple! but sometimes we can certainly get lost. thank you :)

Brit said...

it's great to see your growth and this was a very helpful read along with the ones you posted prior to this, thanks for all the insight! :]

ChelseaDenise said...

thank you and all of the others who have walked this far with me!