Thursday, May 14, 2009

He is who He is.

The first thing we ask someone when we meet them, "What is your name?" We ask so that we may know that person on a slightly deeper level than "hey you", we ask so we can address them directly, we ask maybe because we care, possibly because it is what we are used to. I can't think of too many times when I have asked someone's name or they have asked mine and then we spiraled into a conversation about the meaning of our names.

God's name, however, should be asked about and we should seek to understand it. The last two daily devotionals do a great job explaining. The best part- it is such a simple translation, but is laced with mystery and wonder and awe.

God, aka, I AM. I read the posts and sat back to reflect and realized that there could be no better translation. He is who He is. He is forever, He is our LORD, He is our Savior, He is our protector, confidant, rock, friend, redeemer, love.. He is everything that is good. God is.

The questions for reflection ask :
How have you experienced God's reality in your life? How has God been present to you?
God has poured out Himself and His reality into my life everyday since I have known Him. The Holy Spirit has opened my eyes to see Him in the face of my boss, my best friend, a stranger, in the trees, to hear Him in the bird's song in the morning.. His fingerprints are everywhere and that is the reality He has made aware to me. In the same way, He is always present to me. It is up to me to open up and be present to Him. When I walk away, He remains. He waits to be invited back into my day. When I cling to Him, He stays true to His promise and He covers me with His wings.

In what ways do you need to know that I AM is with you today?
I need to know that I AM is here no matter what today, whether it is a day where I spend a lot of time in the Word or not. I need to be reminded that the Holy Spirit is at work in my life everywhere. Not just when I am meeting with small group or at church. I need to remember that I AM is ALWAYS. Always there, always loving, always challenging, always caring.

I just need to remember that HE IS today as HE WAS yesterday and HE WILL BE tomorrow.

In what ways do you need to know that I AM is with you today?

0 comments: